One of my favorite things about the holiday season has always been sitting in front of my family’s fireplace with all the lights off, just enjoying the cozy atmosphere while we catch up or play board games.
Of course, just like any other time you’re using flames in your home, it’s important to be well aware of all the dangers and common mistakes that might be hiding behind the warmth and beautiful scenery that fireplaces provide. I know I’ve been guilty of more than a few of the potentially life-threating slip ups listed below without realizing just how much damage my thoughtlessness could have caused.
Before lighting up your holiday blaze this year, take a look to see which common errors might accidentally be putting you and your family at risk.
Let us know in the comments if we missed any of the biggest tips and then be sure to SHARE with your loved ones!
1. Breathing In Too Much Toxic Aroma
2. Burning Carbon Monoxide Coals
3. Using Gas Or Lighter Fluid
4. Using Too Much Paper Kindling
5. Forgetting To Open The Damper
6. Ignoring Sparks That Fly Over The Guard
7. Putting Christmas Decorations Too Close
8. Getting Too Close To The Glass Guard
9. Closing The Damper Too Soon
10. Ignoring Chimney Cracks
11. Skipping The Annual Inspection